Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Blog Sabbatical Has Finally Ceased

Well I suppose if you are one of the unfortunate few who actually reads my blog, whether you have been coerced to or whether it is your obligation because, let's face it, you are my mother, you've probably been wondering, where have the McGee's gone? Well I'm happy to announce that the blogging sabbatical is now ending and I will continue to happily pour out my soul on the World Wide Web every single Sunday...unless of course I don't feel like it...or perchance I am taking a nice, albeit rare, Sunday nap.

So where have the McGee's been over the past month? Oregon, Utah...and now back to paradise...oh, I mean Guymon, Oklahoma.


On July 8th, I set out with two kids in tow. (Unfortunately Brayten had to work...or maybe he was just challenging my mothering skills, I'm still not sure). We drove four and a half hours to Oklahoma City and spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express (which by the way is a hotel, yep that's an "H" not an "M"). Can I just tell you, when you pull up to a hotel, with a trunk full of luggage and two small kids you really need to calculate your mode of action. How can I get me, my children, and all of these bags from point "A" to point "B"? Well, first you tote the kids inside to check in. Once the room key is in hand you then tote the children back to the car along with a luggage cart. You fill up the luggage cart, while ensuring the children do not run out into traffic, then put the children on top of the luggage...and off you go. I must tell you though that once you actually get to your room you may need to take a well needed break, lay back on the bed for at least a few seconds, and wipe the sweat from your brow.


The next day we boarded a plane. We flew two hours to Minnesota, had a two hour lay over, and then boarded another plane flying for four and a half hours to Portland, Oregon. I must confess, just the thought of this travel day had given me anxiety for a week before we actually left. As such, I was like Super Mom, traveling through the airports equipped with blankets, binkies, bottles, bandaids, toys, books, Ipod's bursting with kids movies from the Wiggles all the way to Snow Buddies, and snacks lots and lots of snacks. But we survived, Heaven be thanked the "devil" didn't join us on this trip, Maddie actually slept the whole flight from Minnesota to Oregon, can I hear a HALLELUJAH please!


We joined the rest of the Wilding crew in gorgeous, stunning, and absolutely freezing Oregon. You'd think I had been living in 110 degree weather for the past two months I was so cold! Alas, a week in Oregon was a blast! I'll give you a high point and a low point of the trip to save you from what would be an infinitely long travel log (because let's face it, can I ever just write a few words about anything, nope, blah blah blah blah blah...that's what I'm all about, I think I can write almost as much as my cute little sister can talk (I love you Shannon!)).


High Point: Beer Batter Halibut...oh my land, Tom, how have you not shared that amazing recipe you have until now. It was like Heaven on my tongue and I am generally not a fried foods person but wow. AWESOME!


Low Point: It was always great to see which one was going to be more terrible in a restaurant, Maddie or Preston. I think they took turns at extreme naughtiness. "Yep that's my kid," I sighed to myself over and over again. But on occassion I would be laughing because, "Oh good, it's not my kid this time I guess it's Preston's turn. Whew!" In hindsight however, this low point is now becoming quite a fond memory. In fact, one day in Oregon my kids and I, Russ, Meg, and Preston, and Grandma and Grandpa Wilding were having lunch together. My mom was talking about how she wanted to take the whole family to a nice dinner to celebrate my Dad's birthday. As she is going on and on about this great idea for a great dinner I am thinking, "Please spare me." Ultimately toward the end of that magnificent lunch my mom said, "Um, I think maybe we should just cook dinner tonight and not go out." But what she was really thinking was, "We better keep these gremlins home...for two or three more years." It was a good day.






























Yep, that's generally what Russell looks like all the time. Cute, huh?






I'm pretty much a hottie...this is post breast augmentation.





The great thing that you don't see in this picture is Maddie tantruming at my feet. Good job Meg, keeping the tiny terror out of the picture. I promise Maddie is cute, and she is in fact good...sometimes.


Well the good times in Oregon ended and the McGee crew headed back to Utah for two weeks.



High Point: Two words... Harry Potter.



Low Point: Attempting to conceal my blubbering during Harry Potter.



Utah was awesome! It was great to see family, friends, mountains, and even trees. It was great to have a Pace's grape rainbow, to indulge myself with Mandarin Chinese Food, and to shop at stores not titled Walmart. However, it was definitely not cool to say good bye, yet again.



But here we are...doing OK in OK. I just thought I better share these next two photos with you. Brayten has a new calling as Elder's Quorum President and we had to drive to Hugoton, Kansas to have him set apart. Luckily our Branch President drew us a map so we wouldn't get lost.





Yeah, that's how we do it round here.



But it is nice to be back and get settled into our regular routines. Church was particularly welcoming today, it was like the McGee show. I was the chorister in Sacrament Meeting. Tommy spoke, I sang a solo, I spoke, and then Brayten spoke. Brayten then taught Priesthood and I taught Primary. Hmmm, I think I'm ready for another vacation. We did however have an extra special visitor at Church today. Nope not a General Authority, nope not the Stake President, we had a snake inside the Church. Awesome... Note: don't leave your doors open for prolonged periods in Guymon, Oklahoma.



Oklahoma has it's perks though. The other day we went to the Walmart (yes, I do go to the Walmart at least three times a week, I'll bet your jealous). Brayten found these cute license plates for kids bikes with their names on them. We had purchased some Utah "plates" already for our kids and he thought we should get them another set but from Oklahoma. They had Maddie...hmmm, but not Thomas. Instead they had names like Bubba and Mary Lou. See, perks, I told you!



One last story and I will let you get back to your life, for at least another week. The other day the temperature here took a drastic dip. We had a storm front moving in and it was a frigid 68 degrees outside. Tommy went out onto our porch, turned immediately around and came back inside. "Mom," he said, "I need my coat."



Well, all is well here in Oklahoma! I just want to say, Greg thanks for the notes, you're awesome! Logan, thanks for helping pick out my birthday present, you're a stud and you did well! Mom and Dad I love you guys and miss you. Everyone else, family and friends, hugs and kisses from the McGee's! Until next time, we love you!

2 comments:

megwild said...

Love reading your blog, btw. Your pics of OR are great..please share. I'm glad that Preston's naughtiness brought you some smiles - I'm still working on the smile myself. :) We miss you and your kids. Every time Preston says, "You Stinker," I have a flash of Tommy and am bummed we can't just jump in the car to hang out. Last week, Preston decided he wanted to go to Tommy's house. I tried to explain that it would take all day to drive there - that didn't seem to bother him.

megwild said...

Russell the Stupendous says: I look like that only when you are looking so you don't feel bad when you look in the mirror.