Sunday, June 12, 2011

"Orphans smile and be happy," for the McGee's have finally moved into an apartment!



Well I suppose miracles do still exist. We are now in our apartment...big sigh of relief...and even better not much cleaning and only one spider so far. Now, even though it is not quite what I am used to, not comparable to our real home sweet home in Utah, it is infinitely better than and definitely not a motel, or a hotel, or even someone else's house. Ahhhh, I just feel my blood pressure dropping as I type those words.


Tommy and Maddie seem to be adjusting well too after having been juggled about time and time again...poor kids! Yesterday Maddie and Brayten were taking naps. Tommy and I looked at each other, "Well what should we do?" I said.




"I've got an idea! Let's go to the park!" Tommy exclaimed.



"Of course, let's go, I mean really I would love to go to the park when it is 102 degrees outside, there is nothing better!" I replied.



So we shuffled about as quietly as we could attempting to not wake up sleepy head #1 and sleepy head #2, we lubed up with sunscreen, and got ready to head out the door. Tommy gently opened the door, began to tip toe out, and screamed. It was a scream of absolute and utter terror. I ran over to him as he slammed the door shut. "What is going on?" I asked, completely concerned for the welfare of my little guy.



With tears streaming down his face he cried, "A toad!"



"What?" I asked, completely confused.



"It's a toad!" he shuddered.



I opened the door and voila, hello little toad, he seemed to be welcoming us to our new home right by our front door.












I was surprised by Tommy's initial reaction. He is a boy who generally loves all creepy, crawly things. He picks up bugs that are as big as his hand without flinching. He loves trying to catch lizards. He would adore a pet snake (but, no, absolutely not, that is a line we cannot cross). So I was surprised. He then relayed that a girl at church had told him that toads are mean and that they will chase you and bite you. Thanks for that one little girl.



I explained that toads are not like that and that they are indeed more afraid of you than you should be of them. But I also explained that we probably shouldn't touch them until we have read about them and made sure they aren't dangerous at all. (So Uncle Russ, King of useless animal trivia, I don't need to know the scientific name of the toad, I don't really need to know about their habitat, eating patterns, or even breeding specifics. I only need to know if you can touch a toad and not die. There is your task, go, go, go.) So we were fine. Tommy even was able to get relatively close to the little guy and not have a heart attack.



There are actually quite a few toads around, you just don't see them. Check out that last picture, it isn't just grass.



Well we are in our apartment, we've survived a toad attack, oh and Brayten said the prayer in sacrament meeting again today. So far he has said the prayer every week he has attended church here. It is hilarious, we are still trying to get used to the differences between a Branch and a Ward. Sometimes I would just love to bundle up this handful of people, take them home with me, and let the Barton Creek Ward bring them in, love them, and teach them as only a big, Mormon Ward family can. I wish these little kids could have one month in the Barton Creek Primary with tons of kids and great leaders and teachers that would guide them along as best they could. That being said, my opinion of the Guymon Branch Primary kids is this: it is not their fault they live in a tiny town, it is not their fault that there aren't very many members here, so I am going to attempt to give them as good of a Primary experience as I can.



Primary went more smoothly today (thank you Karen Healey for the Sunday Savers suggestion, it was awesome and saved my life-literally)! However, today it wasn't Primary I was worried about. For the first time in my life I played the piano for Sacrament Meeting. I was surprised how nervous I was considering there were probably only 25 people there today and most are not musical. I only slightly botched the Sacrament hymn, the opening and closing hymns went relatively smoothly. Whew, that's over with...until next week...when I play again.









Well another week down. To be honest I still can't believe that I am living in Oklahoma. A place where "Mormons" are considered to be more of a strange cult than a religion and where we have severe storm warnings every single week. It is crazy! But we are doing good and getting settled. Brayten's work schedule is changing this week so instead of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. he will be working 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.(much better, we will actually get to see him a bit more). That being said, sometimes, I really feel like I am hundreds of miles away from home...oh wait...crap...I am. Tommy said to me the other day, "I miss my cousins."



"Yeah buddy, I do too," I said.



So we miss you guys, all of our family and friends (even the ugly ones, that's you Tom)!



I want to give a shout out to my Mom. I love you Mom and I miss you!!! Tommy looked out our apartment window today. There was a big, red, Ford F-150 in the parking lot-you know the kind I think you've seen one before, the Cadillac of trucks. Tommy, with a slight glimmer of hope shining in his eyes said, "Mom, that looks like Grandma's truck. Is it?"



"No buddy, it's not." I replied to my dejected little man.



He misses you. He misses hanging out, helping you in the yard, eating all day, and watching National Wild. He loves you, we all do. Keep your chin up! And get Skype for goodness sake! And even better, we'll see you in a month, one month...only one more month.



I love you all and miss you!

2 comments:

megwild said...

Preston still asks about Tommy nearly every day. He doesn't understand what I mean about Tommy living a long ways away. We miss you guys!!!!

Mom and Kenz said...

Yeah for the apartment! And so cool you two are both making such a difference in your branch. They really are lucky to have you!!