Sunday, June 26, 2011

Do I Have Everything?

This past week was a whirlwind... To be honest, it is quite strange packing a suitcase to visit my parents. It is even more strange to pack a suitcase, drive four and a half hours to the airport, and then take a plane for two and a half more hours to visit your parents. Um, I used to be able to walk to my parents house and did quite often. I found that I asked myself before this venture, throughout the entirety of it, and on the venture home, "Do I have everything?" about seven hundred times. I'm sure we have left possessions like a little trail behind us. From tiny plastic penguins, to books, and possibly even clothes, who knows. I always however made sure I had the essentials: the children, passports, money, and of course the binky (well at least four binkies because Heaven help us if we don't have one). As we were visiting family my mom even had the audacity to suggest, "You know if Maddie can ask for a binky then it might be about time to get rid of it." I was aghast, "Are you crazy?"

A few hours later my mom saw the Mr. Hyde side of Maddie...She relinquished her former comment.
The trip was pretty darn good. On the four and a half hour drive to the airport the kids did surprisingly well. I was patting myself on the back for Mother of the Year award thinking and smiling all along, "Hey I can do this! I can travel to a city I have never been before, find the airport, hop on a plane and take a ride with two kids in tow. I'm pretty much amazing!"

We boarded the plane and the evil in Maddie emerged. Holy moly the plane ride from Hell I thought would never end. When it finally did end and hallelujah that it did Maddie had bit herself, bit me, pulled my hair, and even layed in the aisle on her stomach flailing all limbs while screaming. Tommy like a trooper sat right next to us holding his hands over his ears.

As we exited the plane my former self appraisal was unfortunately and begrudgingly relinquished and I almost knelt down and kissed the ground thankful to be done with that tragic nightmare. As I passed by other passengers, the flight crew, and even the pilot I was given looks that spoke clearly they said things like, "You poor woman." Also, "I don't know how you did that." Maybe even, "I'm so glad that's not my kid." Possibly, "She is cute but I'm afraid she may also be the Devil." And absolutely, "I hope I never see them again." But we survived. (Oh and I didn't take any pictures once Mr. Hyde was with us...I was too busy fighting him to deal with a camera but really who would want to see pictures of that?)













The week was awesome once the traveling was over. I have to admit there is quite a bit more to do in Utah than in Oklahoma. It was fun watching my crazy (but most definitely tough) siblings run the Ragnar, enjoy Father's Day with my Dad (I love him and always will), hit the Zoo, drive my Dad's car to Mueller Park Canyon for an afternoon of smores, play at Kangaroo Zoo, and spend time with good friends and family.





I learned a few things from this trip. First, I love Utah (more than I did before) and I will eventually live there again. Second, the Ragnar looks like a lot of fun on the first leg...second leg (hmmm I slept through that one)...but the third, yeah, not quite as fun. Despite that I think I'm game, next year. Third, I also had a glimpse at the slumbering Wilding tenacity (and Jonesy, you are included in that). It has been a long time since I have watched my siblings compete, especially in running. Scott you are Mr. Incredible. Shannon has always had the little dog syndrome and it blossomed in this race. She is just as tough as anyone no matter how small she is. Brandon is amazing, of course, and I feel sorry for that hill next year. Russ, you know he's in the zone when you are screaming for him and you don't get any type of Russell smirk, not a nod of the head, not even a hand wave of recognition. Yep, that's the Russell the muscle I know. And Tom-what can I say?!? You didn't die, which honestly I was ecstatic about! But, every time I saw you, you were running! Way to go Forrest! You did awesome! Fourth, driving my Dad's car, top down, makes me feel about ten times more cool than I actually am (thanks Dad, anytime you want me to take that thing off your hands I am willing and able). Finally, smores should be savored, as often as possible, no matter how old you are.





So the trip was good. It was so much fun to see everyone but Logan, Kaden, and Karson each of you are on my crap list. Really, who goes to scout camp when their favorite Aunt is in town??? For that you guys are going down, Oregon, Just Dance 2, in two weeks.





Well the trip ended, we hesitantly boarded a plane once again. I was scared, really scared. Let's just be honest as I walked down the aisle of the plane I was already apologizing to the other passengers. With my sweetest smile I would say, "I'm sorry in advance for how my child might behave on this flight." Or even, "I hope you brought ear plugs." And also, "Hey free baby, any takers, free baby!"





Luckily the flight home went a bit more smooth. She only cried for about four minutes instead of forty-five. I can handle four minutes. We arrived in the sweltering heat of Oklahoma, it was 107 degrees. Drove with the air conditioning full blast for four and a half hours. Then finally walked across the Welcome mat at our apartment. The traveling venture had started at 8:30 in the morning and ended at 10:15 that night, super fun!





But we are home with Daddy! While the kids were so sad to leave family and friends in Utah they were ecstatic to see Dad! And so was I. The next day we drove on up to Kansas and went to the water park. Because really, what else do you do in the middle of no where, and it is 111 degrees outside?









We love you all! Until next time, have a good week!

3 comments:

Mom and Kenz said...

Love the airplane story... I traveled by myself once with Lauren and Kenzi -- but it wasn't nearly as exciting.

megwild said...

It was SO fun hanging out during Ragnar! I was sad to have missed out on the rest of your trip...but I will get to see you and your beautiful kids again in a couple of weeks! Just try and drag your husband along for that one!

The Lymans said...

I think we all have an "airplane with kids" story that we never want to repeat. I'm glad you got to come back for a short visit!